Book Discussion: Everything I Know About Marketing I Learned From Google


I always hear people say, "Just when you think you know someone, you actually don't."  In my case, I I realize that while I think I know everything about myself, I actually don't.  Just look at this book that I just fished out from my moving box from years ago!  I don't remember why I bought this book. I didn't major Marketing in college, and I'm not working in the marketing field. I don't even remember where I bought this book. It's in brand new condition, a hardcover.  So obviously,  I had never read it, but I own it.  Should I list this for sale on my Bookshelf Clearance page or should I hang onto it for a while?

After reading a few pages of this book, all I know about Google is it hires tens of thousands of its employees largely using one baseline criteria, which is a college GPA of  3.0 or higher.  I'm surprised that being an innovative tech company, Google is having such an old school paradigm on hiring talents.. As a very minor Google stockholder, I'm a little alarmed by this...

If I have my own business, I will not use GPA as my hiring criteria.  It's because I didn't graduate with a GPA of 3.0, and I understand that there are a lot of reasons why people didn't.  In my case,  those English classes that I took that kept giving me a C grade were the drag of my college GPA, I should have dropped them but like the way I hang on to bad books, I hung onto those classes.till it became too late to drop. My college also has a bad policy that any withdrawn classes with a "W" will stay on the transcript forever even though they are retaken to score an A.  I hate looking at my college transcripts.  I don't have them anymore because I shredded them. The diploma is all I keep.  So, if I were to apply for a job at Google, I wouldn't even have a transcript to show...  I never tried applying for a job at Google though. I just never thought of it because Google is headquartered in a town where rent has always been too high.  So by putting housing affordability as my job hunting criteria, I potentially saved myself from the rejection and humiliation from Google.

What should people do if they don't have a college GPA of 3 or higher to score a job with Google?  Well, if I can't get a job with the company, may be I'll just buy its stocks. In my case, graduating with a less desirable GPA isn't the end of my world.  May be my world would have been better and easier otherwise, but I don't want to sweat over things that I can't change at the moment. My GPA is what it is, it's water under the bridge, and obviously a less than desirable GPA doesn't deprive people the money to hoard too many books that they don't even have time to flip open.

If you have read this book and would like to share your opinion about it, please feel free to type your thought in the comment area below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Best Thing: Book Discussion

Living in Style: Book Discussion

Twitter Power: Book Discussion